Curiosity

Peel Park

The Lark Hill Estate was acquired along with and some adjoining meadowland in order to create space for a public park. It was given the name Peel Park in honour of Sir Robert Peel who secured a grant of £3000 from the government and contributed a further £1000 himself. Seven acres were originally purchased and then twenty-five acres added later as it was too small for a public park. The Lark Hill Mansion was built by Colonel Ackers in 1790.