Lark Hill Place
In the early 1800s the standard of living in Salford was poor with over 700 homes in cellars without windows or fireplaces. In 1848 legislation regulating drainage, provision of toilets, and width of streets meant that much of the housing was developed into terraces by the 1870s. By 1945 this housing was again considered to be substandard and was demolished to make way for new homes. Salford Museum and Art Gallery salvaged features of houses and shops being demolished in the 1950s and construction of Lark Hill Place began in 1955. The street is named after Lark Hill mansion (closed in 1935 after being considered unsafe for public use and later demolished) with the side street named after the mansions original owner James Ackers.
The street is set around 1897 and along it can be found a music shop, printers, toy shop, tobacconist, the Blue Lion Public House, chemist and druggist, bleeder with leeches, jeweller and pawn broker, artisan’s cottage, a Victorian room (1895), Georgian room (1795), blacksmith and wheelwright, dressmaker and haberdasher, and clogger.