South (Victorian) Gallery
Before becoming the Victorian Gallery this room was known as the South Gallery. The room featured in the original design for the museum though it was not completed until 1857. There were 500,000 visitors in the first year.
The gallery was designed to house illustrations of ornamental and practical art, industrial products, and manufactures. It was filled with paintings and cases with objects from England, Canada, India, Egypt, Mexico, Greece, Rome, and China. Amongst those who contributed artefacts to Salford Museum were Queen Victoria, the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. and New York State Library. In exchange artefacts were sent to the Smithsonian and these were accepted as a donation.