Punch and Judy Paperweights
These paperweights were made at John Derbyshire’s Regent Flint Glass Works, Salford, which operated from 1873 to 1876. This glass works specialised in pressed glass, a process of making glass objects in moulds, which made them cheaper and more affordable to a wider section of society.
The firm was known for their paperweights, which were produced in clear, frosted and coloured glass. Along with Punch and Judy, their most successful design was a lion modelled on the bronze lions at the foot of Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square.
The lion and Britannia paperweights are also displayed in this case.